Right then, incoming Year 12s doing English Language A Level: here’s your summer work!
All of the tasks below must be completed in advance of your first Language lesson next term.
1. Make sure you have a copy of the AQA English Language Student Book and the Revision Workbook.
We will be making regular use of both in class next year, and you will be expected to bring them with you to every lesson.
2. Create a ‘language scrapbook’.
This scrapbook will form an integral part of your first term’s worth of lessons, and needs to contain the following items:
(Note: for electronic texts, you’ll need to screenshot and print them.)
- A text message/WhatsApp interaction
- An interaction on Facebook (e.g. a status and some replies to it)
- An interaction on Twitter (e.g. a tweet and some replies)
- A printed advertisement
- An online advertisement
- A poster
- A menu
- A film review
- A newspaper comment piece (e.g. from The Guardian’s Comment is Free section)
- A speech
- A piece of unsolicited post (‘junk mail’)
3. Have a look at this blog post and respond to it in the comments section.
Your comment should be around 200-300 words. Make sure you watch both videos before responding. You might also want to read through the comments that are already on the post. (Avoid anonymous comments.)
4. Make detailed notes on the Nouns section of the Grammar Glossary.
We’ll be having a little test on this when you return, so make sure your notes are up to scratch!
And that’s that!
If you have any questions about any of the tasks above, or the course in general, contact Mr Shovlin (email@example.com).
Enjoy the hols!